Merit Award, Residential Bath, $25K to $50K, 2016 NARI Metro DC Chapter Capitol Coty Award.
This master bathroom in an attic master suite was outdated and the style did not reflect the modern sensibilities of the homeowners. In addition, the corner shower stall was small and cramped. We gutted and renovated the entire space with a new larger shower stall, double vanity, flooring, and lighting.
Furniture-Look Vanity: The 60-inch dark wood vanity has legs and hardware that give it a furniture-look. It is topped with a sleek single-piece ceramic double-bowl top.
Neutral Color Palette
- The floor has a subtle concrete look and the shower wall tile is white.
- There are two places where we added an organic touch. Our designer selected a wood-look tile accent wall in the shower. Also, the dark wood vanity also adds a contrasting touch
- Our clients loved the gray stone look of the “broken edge” shower floor tile.
Larger Shower Enclosure
- We moved the shower to the other side of the room and installed a wall to create a large, glass enclosure that is 5-feet 4-inches by 4-feet. The shower fits under the existing dormer and we tiled the dormer portion.
- We placed a bench on the dormer side of the shower where head room was not as vital. The floating bench is supported by a chrome bar attached at the wall. It is made of a quartz material.
- We also installed a 12-inch vertical grab bar.
- The shower is enclosed with glass to maintain visual openness.
BEFORE: We moved the small, outdated corner shower was to the opposite wall.
DURING: Installing a wall allowed us to maximize both the storage cabinet and shower.
- Even with the over 5-foot shower enclosure, we were still able to increase storage by installing Ikea cabinets. By adding trim around the edges, we were able to make the white freestanding units look built-in.
- The 60-inch dark wood vanity has center drawers and storage under each sink.
- Generous shower niche for soap and shampoos.
- Two medicine cabinets above the vanity have mirrored doors and interiors and three adjustable glass shelves.
- There are also two open shelves on the wall above the vanity.
BEFORE: Dark green cultured marble and pickled finish maple vanity!
BEFORE: SECOND FLOOR MASTER SUITE FLOORPLAN
AFTER: SECOND FLOOR MASTER SUITE FLOORPLAN
This master bath is in a home where we also completed a first floor rear addition. Click here to view the addition with kitchen project.